(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 11:48:04 PST 2011

>Marc Aramini: Well, Lune is a problem.  There are two or three things that keep coming back to
>haunt me.  One is Apheta peering down from Lune, the other is its change to verdancy and Rudesind's
>claim that it is closer (or bigger?).

For me, the Apheta face is a poetic/psychogical image and/or a peekhole for an observer. Yesod being
a higher universe than Briah, any portal from it would appear luminous as energy "runs downhill".

I think the Rudesind claim of Lune as closer could be a hint that the moon actually got bigger somehow
and that could be a promising avenue for you (though I always took it to mean that orbiting bodies will
tend to draw closer in cosmic time frames).

>But can an asteroid ever be a satellite?  I don't know, then we have to go against the definition that the
>whorl is a hollowed out asteroid if they are actually significantly different, the kind of semantic arguments
>I DON'T like,

Ah well, I don't like that case of it either. "Asteroid" (star-like) is itself a misnomer though the more
accurate "planetoid" never made it into the popular vernacular. Things have gotten even more vague in recent
times with both Pluto getting demoted and Ceres getting promoted to "dwarf planet".

In my definition and understanding, if a moon is knocked out of its orbit it is no longer a moon/satellite. And
if it becomes a white speck in the sky of some other planet, the label "asteroid" becomes even more appropriate.
I think we can't know if Wolfe used the word specifically to imply the Whorl was drawn from the rocky bodies which
inhabit the space between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. Um...Skuld and...uh...Odin? heh. well...anyway.

I have an idea which sort of falls between your physical identicality of Urth and Green and metaphoric similarity.
Let's see if I can put it into words in another thread.