(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 07:35:31 PST 2011

The rules of astral travel as stated in the text - that someone had either been there at the time or be thinking about it specifically.  There was no thought of Blue the first time they showed up on Urth, but there was this:

"I shut my eyes ( I was very tired, which may have helped) and while attemting to fix her tones in my memory, I tried to recall Green's jungles and Sinew.  Sleep rushed upon me, sending me spinning through an endless night." p IGJ 311  He thinks of Green, the night is "endless", and he winds up on Urth.

Later, "I wanted to take us to Green ... to see what real evil is." ... "I fell silent, forced to think myself about what I myself had just said. (IGJ 321)

Then there's this: "I'd like to show you Green," Jahlee explained to him.  "it's the whorl on which I was born and on which I grew up, just as your father was born and grew up on that little white one he tries to point out to you sometimes." (IGJ 339)  This shows us the whorl is white and visible in the sky.

Wolfe will not elaborate on it, probably with anyone now, but when I say the rules it is clear the TEXT sets the rules for astral travel, and I did not have a way to reconcile the passage of time since Rogoglio had been there with the time they arrived on Urth, but I knew time was involved.  (ie - it was later than he left, but way way way earlier than the present of the text).

The only other information inside the card was "I like the spruce and the staff, too!"  with too underlined.

If its a throwaway comment, a joke, these little asides that compare the city on Green with Nessus would not occur.  This mechanism would not be right there, with Silk thinking of Green and real evil.  The problem is its easy to write off all Wolfe's little subtleties as coincidence, but once the connection is made it is difficult to expunge the association entirely.

At the time of all this rather epic argument back in 2002/3 or so Wolfe was finishing up Wizard Knight, so our struggle made it into the final chapter, The River Battle.  I think a lot of that stuff was wiped out from the list somehow, though.  hmm... perhaps Echidna got a hold of it and tried to delete it.

"I thought it prudent to station sentries along the bank, particularly at the fords, in case the enemy tried to cross; Sir Marc had charge of these.  He was inspecting his men when a captain of the Osterlings shouted some insult.  Rather than letting it pass in silence, Marc returned one of his own.  The captain waded into the rive, challenging Marc to meet him.  Marc did, the captain's men attacked him when their captain fell, Marc's sentries ran to support him, and the fighting spread.  All that I learned later." (470, wizard.)

Sir Marc starts the final battle because he can't restrain himself.  How's that for a dalek interpretation?