(urth) Thea and Thecla

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jan 10 08:32:49 PST 2011

On 1/10/2011 6:30 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> On 1/10/2011 4:59 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> On 1/9/2011 6:26 PM, Jordon Flato wrote:
>>> I guesa what am trying to say is at a very basic level, at best Severian
>>> can only aproximate that pre nosh youth, because botns isnt a journsl,
>>> but memiors written after nosh and after hes been autarch for a time.
>>
>> But that is where the superlative memory comes in, isn't it?
> True. However, Severian the autarch probably considers Severian the
> youth to be too naive to be allowed to take over, if that were even
> possible.

It seems to happen despite the writer's stated wishes. He might let
"Appian's" POV mingle with his in CITADEL to show how he is not entirely
over the effects of the analeptic and is still finding his mental sea
legs, but Thecla's memories seem to intrude where stimulated, possibly
even into the pre-nosh passages, making the narrator's sentences appear
nonsensical or counterfactual:

"I played again with pebbles in the courtyard beside the fallen curtain
wall, as Thecla dodged the hooves of my father's mounted guard."

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >