(urth) The Daleks of Saltimbanque Street

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 09:38:34 PST 2011

Awesome, sir.

----- Original Message ----
From: Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie>
Sent: Sun, January 9, 2011 10:52:49 AM
Subject: (urth) The Daleks of Saltimbanque Street

Gene Wolfe's tripartite novel, _The Fifth Head of Cerberus_, has excited and
exasperated all those who have tried to interpret it in the thirty years since
it was written.  The mystery is at last resolved!  Wolfe, in his inimitable
style, has cunningly reflected stories and themes from the popular BBC serial,
Doctor Who.

The central character is presented obliquely.  We learn of a Doctor (of
anthropology, the study of humankind) about whom the central issue is a question
of identity.  Cleverly, Wolfe has created a literal Doctor Who, without once
mentioning the name.  (In case some readers missed the clues, Wolfe later
matches him with a young - though male -companion, and makes it clear that he
has recently undergone a regeneration.)

Less obscure are the identities of characters in the house at 666 Saltimbanque
Street, where our story commences.  The house is presided over by Maitre, whose
frenchified name does little to hide his identity as Doctor Who's arch-enemy,
renegade timelord The Master.  His character is soon eastablished as he rants
about his "failure to rule even this miserable colony planet" - as always, the
Master intends to rule the entire Universe.

Other characters we meet here are Number Five, a clone of the Master, and Mr.
Million, also apparently a clone of the Master, but encapsulated in a sort of
mobile mechanical casing.  Mr. Million is obviously a Dalek, or a prototype of
one.  But what are we to make of the numbers?  The most obvious explanation is
that Mr. Million represents one of the countless Dalek footsoldiers who will
soon emerge to conquer the universe, whereas Number Five is being groomed for a
position of authority.  Already, though, the Master drugs and torments Number
Five nightly, beginning the process of transforming him from a seemingly normal
human being into one of the insane hate-filled creatures that animates the shell
of every Dalek, even the golden-shelled ruling class.

Another person here is David, a transparent soubriquet for a young clone of
Davros, creator of the Daleks in the original series.  Although seemingly on an
equal footing with Number Five, David/Davros is not experimented on by the
Master to anything like the same degree.  Wolfe does not elaborate on this
aspect of the plot, but it's clear that the Master and Davros have teamed up to
create an army of world-ravaging Daleks.  Who will stop them?

Enter the Doctor, who arrives one night at Saltimbanque Street and is let in by
Number Five.  Five is suspicious of him, but the Doctor ably deflects his prying
questions, and asks instead to speak to the person he has come to see, 'Aunt
Jeannine', otherwise known as anthropologist Aubrey Veil. Jeannine is an early
victim of the Master's experiments - she has been fitted with a prototype Dalek
drive which allows her to glide around the house well enough, but renders her
crippled outside.  Unbowed by this horrible fate, she has hit upon the ruse of
anthropological discussions to contrive an excuse for the Doctor to enter the
Master's domain.  Number Five is sent away while the Doctor and Jeannine discuss
how to stop the Master's dastardly plans.

In the end, it is Number Five whom the Doctor and Jeannine use to foil the
Master.  As a Master clone, Five is already naturally primed to demand supreme
power for himself at any cost, and the Doctor and Jeannine cleverly exploit
this.  Number Five is already motivated by ambition and resentment of the
Master's experiments.  When Jeannine tells him of the Master's hidden wealth,
his emotions boil over and he resolves to kill the Master.  The Master realises
he ihis becoming a threat, and (ironically) calls in the Doctor, who he believes
to be an ordinary anthropologist, to reason with him.

In the climax, the Doctor - who abhors killing - does indeed try to reason with
both Number Five and the Master.  But it is too late.  Number Five sends him
away and murders the Master, he is then arrested by the police. The threat to
the universe is resolved.  Aunt Jeannine lives on at 666 Saltimbanque St.,
keeping Dalek prototype Mr. Million as a servant.  [Of course, the Master never
truly dies - at the end, Number Five is back preparing new plots for future
episodes.]

We have come to the end of the first and original novella, of which the complete
novel is an expansion.  As a Doctor Who story, it is also by far the most
standard in construction.  In the third novella, VRT, Wolfe plays with the
concept, combining two typical Whovian tropes and, in a bow to the episodic
nature of the original series, ending in a cliffhanger rather than a firm
conclusion [VRT probably stands for Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy, an
acronym for medical treatments intended to restore balance].

In VRT, we alternate between present and past on the twin planets.  In the
present, the Doctor is immured in a sinister prison controlled by the brutal
police force of Sainte Croix.  It is suggested that he is under suspicion for
the murder of the Master in the first episode - yet we know that Number Five has
already been sentenced.  An alternate timeline, perhaps?  There are hints that
all is not as it seems - the three 'brothers' who arrest him, one of whom has
apparently had a brain operation... Cybermen?  It is unclear just which enemies
the Doctor is facing.  Perhaps Wolfe has purposely created ambiguity here in
order to point to the recurring tropes of the series, in which the Doctor is
forever imprisoned and escaping, forever battling enemies whose nature is
recurrent though different in detail.  We are introduced to Celestine, whom we
are given to understand will somehow escape with him and become his Companion
for the next series, but little in the way of detail plot is provided.

The rest of VRT is a similarly oblique and incomplete tale, in which the Doctor
appears on Sainte Anne, claiming to have travelled by starcrosser from Earth (a
likely story!).  He adopts a young male companion - and as with Celestine
Etienne, Wolfe does not shy away from the notion of sexual attraction,
heterosexual or otherwise, between the Doctor and Companion, something which the
BBC has shied away from until the recent reboot.  Like the BBC, however, Wolfe
is never explicit on this aspect, which would be disruptive to the main Whovian
themes if placed too muych in the foreground. With his companion, the Doctor
explores the wilderness of Sainte Anne. There is some disaster - as in the
'present' sequences of VRT, we are never shown what.  The Companion dies and the
Doctor regenerates.  And this very regeneration feeds back into the central
myster of Who's identity (if any) and is the reason he is imprisoned in the
'present' sequencves of VRT.  The 'past' sequences have no middle but an ending,
the present sequences have no ending but are all middle.  Indeed, in VRT Wolfe
has presented an intriguing confection which riffs on the instability of Story
when time travel is in play, viewed from the perspective of a central character
who is an immortal shapechanging alien who cannot die (one student of Wolfe has
observed that this is a central theme of much of his work).

What are we to make of the second novella, though?  Neither Doctor Who not the
Master appear here, though apparently it is a story (or legend) of the past of
Sainte Anne, as told by the Doctor.

We must remember the genesis of _Fifth Head_.  Wolfe originally wrote the first,
and most simply constructed novella, as a tribute to the BBC serial. Then his
editor asked him to expand it to novel length.  Wolfe obliged, and the third
novella, VRT, moves on from standard plots into an extended meditation on themes
of time and identity.  But still we have rather a short novel.  Wolfe resorts to
a technique he has used repeatedly elsewhere, which if used by a lesser author
we might call 'padding'.  He includes a story, as usual a dreamlike legend of
earlier times, whose direct connection with the plot is obscure, but which
touches lightly on themes in the surrounding novel.  Often such stories are
included by means of a storytelling contest, or an ancient book read by one of
the characters - here Wolfe has the Doctor tell the story, perhaps describing a
time when he visited pre-discovery Sainte Anne in his Tardis.  Themes of cloned
twins amd other concepts found in the other novellas are prominent.  In VRT we
see hints that some of the characters live on after the colonisation of Sainte
Anne, but they seem to have no more direct connection with the characters of the
other novellas than do Fish and Frog in the legents incorporated in Book of the
New Sun.

All in all, _Fifth Head_ is quintessential Wolfe, taking tropes from the pulp
fiction or media of the day but putting them to novel use.  Even now that the
puzzles which have perplexed so many are solved once and for all, I am sure it
will continue to be the subject of intense discussion, as new aspects of the
Doctor are teased out from its complex and intertwined stories.

- Gerry Quinn