(urth) Truth in fiction

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 13:20:19 PST 2011

Lee Berman wrote:
> I apologize for the condescending tone here,

If you recognize it as something to be apologized for, why do it in
the first place?

> but darn it, there is a manner of learning and
> growing and becoming a sophisticated, mature reader of literature. Young readers demand concrete
> "correct" answers to mysteries in what they are reading. Adults are supposed to have the wisdom
> to realize that in books, as in life, there isn't always a "best" answer for everyone.

No, but there often is, and the default assumption unless there is
strong evidence otherwise is that there is, in fact, an answer which
"best" fits the internal "facts" of the text (if not an actual "right"
answer). "Adults [should] have the wisdom" to realize that the best
answer won't necessarily be handed to us on a silver platter, nor will
we always agree upon which answer is "best."

But it is perfectly reasonable for an adult to hold that one answer is
better than another, and to do so without denigrating those who hold
that other answer.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes