(urth) weak theories

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 13:14:09 PST 2011

>David Stockhoff- This is something I had not imagined. I wonder: if Gene Wolfe crashlanded on a planet
>of mind-imitators, what kind of civilization would result? Discuss.
>I think everyone would go around making jokes referring to Golden Age pulp, quoting Proust, and talking
>about gods as though they were real. Mentioning Gondwanaland and Mu in casual conversation would be nothing.

Sorry I had to change subject lines on you for that one David! But funny.

Speaking of Golden Age Pulp, is anyone familiar with an SF short story which features an alien planet
populated by "Imitians"? I couldn't find it with Google. I suspect it (like Men Without Bones) influenced 5HoC
though Imitians are actually the opposite of abos/Shadow Children

They are incredible at technology and rapid change but lack any imagination of their own. So when a
Bible-toting spaceman crashes on their planet, the whole place is soon populated by a parade of Moseses and
Jesuses and so on. But a visiting anthropologist learns that there are also a lot of Pharaoahs and Judases
and other assorted sinners. Not everyone identifies with the heroes.

*Spoiler Conclusion* The CIA or equivalent sends the Imitians a purposefully contrived book about a mighty
conquering race who subjugate and exploit an inferior race who are humbly grateful for the guidance the
superior race provides. Hey, why not squeeze these pliable guys and their technology and rapid industry for
all we can?

Oops. Not everyone identifies with the humble loser in a story either. Earth didn't fare well as a result.