(urth) interview questions

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 10:59:22 PST 2011

>Dave Muir-Bacon:   I'm enjoying the on-going discussion of Cerberus (sorry, 5HoC) having
>recently reread it, but could somebody please post a link to the
>original "interview" that prompted these questions?

Interestingly the thread has morphed from one interview question about Blue/Green/Urth to
a different interview about 5HoC.

A lot of focus has been placed on the WOlfe quote that "Marsch has been replaced by a Shadow
Child". In the Larry McCaffrey interview wolfe phrases it as, "If you hire a shape changer as
a guide, there's a definite possibility that he's going to change into your shape at some point.
Which is what happens."

Such things are disurbing enough to the theories of some that they must claim explanations as
"Wolfe mispoke" and "obvious typo".

This quote, also from the McCaffrey interview suggests the time period between the Sandwalker
and Marsch episodes is a very great one; a mythological timespan rather than historical:

>Gene Wolfe: "Since the period in which the Sandwalker scene was—in terms of the "present" found
>in the rest of the book—taking place in the distant past of the planet, it made more sense to say,
>"Here's a legend that has survived from that period"

I find the quote below from the same interview to be of great general value to all Wolfe readings with
regard to the idea of logical "evidence", the value/purpose of lupine dreams and text stories and even
the impact of Wolfean autobiography in his work (Pringles is a subsidiary of Procter & Gamble):