(urth) interview questions

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Jan 5 12:34:30 PST 2011

I have always thought it should have been called   A Story, by "John V. Marsch".  But perhaps that would have been giving the game away too easily.

The problem is as you say, it doesn't work if we take it as maximally unreliable, because it is our only source of information for so much; we have no means of testing the reliability of the narrator with regard to the different elements.  Not giving it credit would render the full book basically meaningless.

We also have Word of God on the issue:
"I decided to present the Sandwalker story as a legend or story that Marsch had uncovered, rather than as straight reportage, because I wanted to keep all three stories set in roughly the same time frame-the "present" of the opening novella. Since the period in which the Sandwalker scene was-in terms of the "present" found in the rest of the book-taking place in the distant past of the planet, it made more sense to say, "Here's a legend that has survived from that period" rather than simply jumping into the past and presenting it directly."
< http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/interviews/wolfe46interview.htm >

If I am interpreting that correctly, there's nothing unreliable there personal to VRT/Marsch, and really no indication of anything unreliable except in terms of characters presented within it, as would be the case if it were presented directly, which is an option Wolfe avoided only for stylistic reasons.

- Gerry Quinn