(urth) interview questions

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 12:33:19 PST 2011

>Gerry Quinn: of course the abo Marsch has studied anthropology in order to pose as an
>anthropologist.

Of course, of course! Quite a bit of knowledge to be packed into a short amount of time,
eh? Where did he learn it all? Studies with Dr. Veil, perhaps?

>It's an obvious typo - it should have been "fifteen hundred".

Obviously, obviously! And why not? There is no SIZE shifting here. Only shape. Abos are
human sized and can shift into human shape and that's it. Nothing else. No trees. No worms.
No Shadow Children. No cats. Nothing. One human changes to another human. That's all. And
that's final.

>Let me clarify:  it is myths and hypotheses that are never completely true or false in 5HoC -
>not the (fictive) reality.

Good one! Fictive reality. Yep, silly me. We can always tell what is real, what is dream, what
is myth and what is hypothesis in a Wolfe story. Clear as the nose on an abo's face! ;- )

>I must thank you for inadvertently pointing me to one clue I had overlooked, i.e. the "planetary
>face" of the Sainte Croix humans.  I had not before noticed that, like Marsch (VRT), the "gypsies
>and criminal tribes" of Sainte Croix do not share this planetary face.  We have found the Sainte
>Croix abos!

Yep, yep, inadvertent. No credit for the inferiors, eh wot? ;- ). But the "planetary look" Marsch
(MARSCH!) notes is of a clone. A guy cloned so many times the extras had to be sold off as slaves.
(note the hunched shoulders and pointed chin of the slave that serves the document reviewing
official).

> Is there one "best" conclusion? Yes.

Gerry Quinn's. I get that.

But...Tony Ellis is almost as sure his conclusion is the best. And it is the opposite of Gerry Quinn's.

Which "best" are we lessers supposed to believe in?

Jerry Friedman, I would generally accept a replacement of the word "predjudice" with "bias" if you like.
But sometimes true pre-judgement is the correct assessment. No matter how ambiguous a text may be, some
simply cannot accept the possibility of ambiguity.