(urth) Wolfe and Gaiman

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 10:56:17 PST 2011

>Antonio: I think Lee's objection was to the term itself in not being dignified enough.

Quite the contrary! I unfortunately trend toward the mission of puncturing pomposity and elitism
in the arts. A bit of artistic dignity is fine but as it increases it gradually morphs into those
two balloons I always want to pop. I apologize and try to keep this failing of mine under control.

My objection was only in breadth not elitism of terms. Visual accessibility is just a general
way I would characterize the differences between Wolfe's and Gaiman's work.

As Witz suggests, even the more prosaic aspects of Wolfe's work can be difficult to render in
visual form. So how do you convey the idea of immaterial or indeterminite elements like Neighbors or
Yesod or Brook Madregot or Whorl Gods? I mean, c'mon, the Naviscaput would end up looking awfully silly
no matter who drew him...