(urth) a false coin

Jordon Flato jordonflatourth at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 09:35:57 PST 2011

I was talking over this exact thing with Witz the other day.  Witz and I are
both of the mind that there is a progressive movement in Severian's
Character toward giving allegiance to a higher and higher source as the book
moves forward, or maybe is shedding layers of earthly allegiance and
discovering a real impulse toward the increate.  I think there are a lot of
examples of this throughout the books.  Early on, Severian receives the
coin, as you say, from Vodalus, whom he internally vows to serve from that
point on.  And arguably that choice sets him on his path toward the throne.
 So no having attained the throne, reached the pinnacle of urthly power,
where many would be more than satisfied, he's given another coin, which
reminds him of that first coin, but which at this point he recognizes (is
told) is counterfeit.  For me, I see this as a final symbol of Severian
being reminded, through symbol, that the Autarchy isn't his final purpose,
that he serves something higher.  I'm running short on time right now, so I
can't go into this more subtly, and I think there is more there to say.