(urth) Atlantis and Gondwanaland

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Jan 3 07:35:02 PST 2011

Of course I meant them in a limited sense (i.e., limited to Fifth Head), but they do seem to recur in Wolfe. I'd relate them to his general idea about myths, how ancient myths reflect attempts by intelligent people to understand the world and approach divinity, etc. Stories we tell ourselves about who-came-before are all grist for Wolfe's mill, or meat for his fangs, or ....
In other words, I wouldn't go so far as to say Wolfe thinks giants (or shadows) did once roam the earth, or that they did on Urth, or that they did on Blue, etc. Just that we humans always talk about such ideas and they hold---and generate---meaning for us. (Incidentally, have you ever noticed how sickeningly popular prophecies are in Hollywood and cheap fiction? Wolfe shows comparatively little interest in them---he prefers myths about the past.)
I just read Margaret Atwood's latest novel, Year of the Flood. She says (probably quoting Plato by way of someone else) "All religion is a shadow of God, and shadows of God are not God." I think Wolfe agrees, and this lets him play with myths while suggesting that they hold truth along with lies (both "true" lies and false ones).