(urth) Wolfe covers

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 21:00:15 PST 2011

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>

On 1/2/2011 8:52 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> *From:* Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
> **
> On 1/2/2011 5:25 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:

[cover painting]

>>  >>
>>  >> > and Severian is framed by a huge full moon,
>>  >>
>>  >> (Which is insufficiently green. And where's the red sunlight?)
>>  >
>>  >?? The red sunlight is rather prominent at the lower left.
>>
>> That's sunlight? Maybe I have no idea what the cover is supposed to
>> show, beside Severian and Lune.
>>
>>  > If you mean
>>  > the grazing reflection from Lune, it's accurate if you agree with my
>>  > hypothesis that it's glassed over like the Botanic Gardens.
>>
>> It certainly seems reasonable, but the glass shouldn't interfere with
>> the green that Severian mentions seeing, and a glassed sphere would just
>> have one highlight from the sun, I think.
>
> Not a single glass sphere, lots of domes.

Even more reasonable.  But in any case, Lune has to look green.

> The color is accurate; the
> same sun shines on green Lune, green Gyoll, and the greenery in the
> Botanical Gardens, even while it looks red when viewed directly.

Maybe it's my partial color blindness.  Just out of curiosity, what color is
Lune in that picture?  It looks mostly pale blue to me.

Bigger version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/1568658079/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all

(I can see the red better there, though it's still not working for me.)

Jerry Friedman