(urth) Wolfe covers

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 18:52:57 PST 2011

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>

On 1/2/2011 5:25 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> *From:* Son of Witz <Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>
>> **
>> > Re: Shirtless. Don Maitz's cover painting for the hardcover BotNS SF
>> Book Club Edition shows
>>  > his chest, in shadow. Mostly you don't notice it, the cloak dominates.
>>
>> Not a bad way to handle it, I think.
>>
>>  > It's a nice enough painting, but TE is held out like a throbbing hardon,
>>
>> I though you might be exaggerating till I looked at the picture.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Book-New-Sun-Gene-Wolfe/dp/1568658079
>>
>>  > and Severian is framed by a huge full moon,
>>
>> (Which is insufficiently green. And where's the red sunlight?)
>
>?? The red sunlight is rather prominent at the lower left.

That's sunlight?  Maybe I have no idea what the cover is supposed to show,
beside Severian and Lune.

> If you mean
> the grazing reflection from Lune, it's accurate if you agree with my
> hypothesis that it's glassed over like the Botanic Gardens.

It certainly seems reasonable, but the glass shouldn't interfere with the green
that Severian mentions seeing, and a glassed sphere would just have one
highlight from the sun, I think.

Jerry Friedman

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >