(urth) Wolfe covers

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Jan 2 11:57:18 PST 2011

Those have a feel similar to that of some of the late 1960s Lord of the
Rings covers: highly stylized, colorful, and slightly "off," but
brilliant and reminiscent of the The Dying Earth. Seems Urth should be
darker....

I don't know the artist but I'd know the covers when I see them. They
appear here as edition #2:

http://mysite.verizon.net/aznirb/mtr/oop-lotr.html

I happen to like the "cheap" paperback covers of #1. Although they do
not do justice to the contents, they have their own visual style, and as
Gerry says, sci-fi art---oops, SF art---has a long tradition of
awfulness. LOTR copvers have gotten better but also perhaps more pompous
(excepting the movie version!) as their contents have become more
profitable and more prestigious.