(urth) City on Green

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Jan 2 06:40:52 PST 2011

I googled "Urbis" and "Pestis" to see what loose associations might come
up. There were none of any great interest: pestis (plague) is the
species name of the Black Death, and Urbis tends to bring up Rome, but
you would expect that. Rome is the Eternal City, which Nessus resembles
in its lifespan, and of course both cities are notorious for other
reasons. Thinking of Nessus as a Nexus in the sense that postimperial
Rome was a nexus might be productive.

For those of you who like puzzles, however, I present the Stanford
Digital Forma Urbis Romae Project,

      DIGITAL MAP OF THE SLABS OF THE FORMA URBIS ROMAE:

http://formaurbis.stanford.edu/docs/FURslabmap.html

On 1/2/2011 3:01 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

> Someone recently mentioned The Town That Forgot Fauna. I think there is much there which
> reflects on the founding of Nessus. It is on a river. It has grand walls and towers. There
> are black beans mentioned. We never learn the "grand name" of this city but its nicknames
> "Urbis" and "Pestis" are highly evocative of the name "Nessus" to me.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110101-1, 01/01/2011
Tested on: 1/2/2011 9:40:53 AM