(urth) Quotations

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 1 14:34:46 PST 2011

>Adam Thornton: Cyby is the Gary-Stu insertion of Wolfe into the story (thanks to
>someone--maybe Borski?  Maybe someone else? at ReaderCon '98 for
>pointing this out to me).

I agree. Although...I think it might be more complex. Ultan mentions reading on the
49th floor, overlooking a bed of rosemary; while Wolfe published SotT at age 49 having
wife Rosemary. Might be a bit of WOlfe in Ultan also.

I think this is paralleled later. I'm not the only one to find Severian's ostensible Dad,
Ouen having a physical description which matches Gene WOlfe's at that time. Master and
apprentice combined. Father and son combined. (I won't mention Dionysus, Zeus The OUtsider
and Pas at this time. I WON'T!)

>So of course Ultan is Author-as-Demiurge, and as acknowledged mentor
>to our actual authorial demiurge.  But then I think of BotNS, in some
>sense, as "What if Borges had written _The Dying Earth_?"

Oh, hell yes. That is just perfect.