(urth) woldercan's sacrifice, the circus of Dr. Lao

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Mon Jan 31 18:16:49 PST 2011

Marc Aramini wrote:

As far as Evil Guest goes, I believe it was Dave Tallman who made a
lot of cogent comparisons between it and other literature, (my
apologies if it was another Dave, about all of my friends somehow are
named David) and I was wondering if that sacrificial beauty pageant
has anything to do with Cassie's final trip to Woldercan.  I know
there is the sacrifice on the Island, but is there something about her
glamorization that has made her worthy of human sacrifice, too?

Thanks for the compliments. I think Bill Reis' sacrifice has many parallels
with the Woldercan sacrifice scene.

1) There is a drought and the Woldercan people are praying for rain.
    In AEG. they are trying to stop a storm.

2) A bold member of the audience suggests they demand instead of pray.
   This reflects the hubris of Bill Reis, who thinks he can take over the
world and give everyone literacy and enough to eat.

3) The betrothed of this man is selected for sacrifice.
    Cassie is put in jeopardy.

4) He suggests his life be exchanged for hers.
    Basically this is what Bill does.

5) There is a struggle and the man, his betrothed, and the offering priest
all die.
    Bill dies. Kanoa dies. Cassie dies to the world, no longer recognizable
as the star she was.

6) There is a blessing -- manna and rain fall from the heavens.
   Cassie at least is blessed, removed from the island and the storm to a
place where she can survive.