(urth) Merger

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:50:54 PST 2011

>From Merriam-Webster (with apologies to OED preferers, but this one is free online)

>a : the act or process of merging

>b : absorption by a corporation of one or more others; also : any of various methods of
>combining two or more organizations

Perhaps we can agree this definition fits what happens with the alzabo rather nicely?

I think Dan'l's concern is over the temporary/permanent nature of the merger. If we go by
what seems to happen with Vodalus' banquet we might think the merger is temporary perhaps
with only minor vestiges remaining.

Still, as Severian does combat with the alzabo they have a conversation on
strategy which would seem to go beyond both Becan's and Severa's ressources. (yes, Becan
was a hunter, but my impression is that the battle savvy goes beyond this). I get the
sense the alzabo has acquired a library of stored memories to draw upon, including a trained
soldier or assassin or something.

This is paralleled with Severian in UotNS I think. He is no longer plagued by spontaneous
takeovers by Thecla but I guess she is still there, just unneeded. The old Autarch pops up
once, but only at the appropriate time and need.

I think the idea of a merger is pretty appropriate, a la Daimler-Chrysler. The larger company
took over the smaller one. There is a new merged identity though if there is confict the majority
partner tends to have the merged corporation serve its needs above the minority partner.
Thus Becan is willing to let his family suffer pain, since the alzabo requires it. But, as
others noted, the alzabo is also willing to risk a lot to protect his/Becan/Severa's next
meal/family.

(So how does this relate to Procter & Gamble? Did this corporation force Gene Wolfe and his
family move from somewhere nice to the hellish outer urban areas of Chicago? [sorry Ryan ;- )].

It is pretty easy to see how the Autarchy and New Sun status of Severian/Thecla/old Autarch
serves the needs of all three (throw Ymar in there if you like).

So, how does the merger of Horn/Silk/Neighbor do that?  (Neighbor for James, though I like the
idea also).