(urth) Sev's Family Tree

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:04:21 PST 2011

> Gerry-
> I don't think I would call it a different creature, really, or use the
> word 'merger'.  It is still an alzabo, which is using Becan's mind as
> a tool. Any parts of Becan's mind that would be unsuited to the
> alzabo's purposes are ruthlessly discarded.
> [...]
> (I think possession in BotLS is closer to a true merger.)

Hmm...why so? I would have said that possession in the BotLS was the
just the opposite. As Kypris Chenille described it, the mind invader can
choose to fully take over or ride along quietly.

As I understand a Mani-style merger, that would not be possible: the
separate spiritual and physical creatures cease to exist and a new
being is created.

It is true that the merger serves interests of the alzabo body. If it
did not, the alzabos would soon cease to exist. But the fact that the
alzabo puts his life at genuine peril for Becan's family shows that
there are downsides to the merger from the POV of the animal part of
Becan Alzabo.

u+16b9