(urth) Sev's Family Tree

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Jan 28 09:39:54 PST 2011

From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>
> Also, the Becan Alzabo is an example of a soul/body merger. Becan Alzabo's
> logic is premised on the needs of the alzabo creature. Were it not for the
> Becan part, the alzabo would hunt easier prey. Were it not for the alzabo
> part, Becan would not want his family eaten in order to have them reunited
> until they fade from the animal's mind. He would want his children to grow
> up and further his human genes. The Becan Alzabo is a different being from
> either Becan or the Alzabo as is clearly explained to Mani in The Wizard
> Knight.

I don't think I would call it a different creature, really, or use the word
'merger'.  It is still an alzabo, which is using Becan's mind as a tool.
Any parts of Becan's mind that would be unsuited to the alzabo's purposes
are ruthlessly discarded.

By the same token, I don't think there is any merger between Severian and
Thecla (or, later, the past autarchs).  Thecla's memories and some of her
personality are in Severian's mind, and can occasionally even get out of
control, but there is never a truly merged personality.  He remains
Severian, just as the alzabo remains alzabo.

(I think possession in BotLS is closer to a true merger.)

> When the Becan Alzabo fought to the death he was protecting both his
> family and his food.

And when the dying alzabo licks Little Severian, he is demonstrating his
love for both...

- Gerry Quinn