(urth) Sev's family tree

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jan 27 20:25:54 PST 2011

On 1/27/2011 3:29 PM, Son of Witz wrote:
> I love the fact that the book is this slippery, and this can all be
> gleaned from what is actually there on the paper, without external or
> even complicated internal cross references.

Beware! Ambiguity is the devil's volley ball.

> To answer Jeff, I guess I mean that there are two major, er,
> soothsayer level readings that are opposed but square with the
> "letter" of the text. Those are, in a nutshell, that the Heirodules
> are playing God for their own purposes and keeping humanity down,
> while duping Severian, ie, an absolutely negative result to the
> events in the book. The other is that they are messengers of the
> increate, helping things toward a positive goal.

I thought we already went there a few months ago. One of the themes of
the book, and of much else what Wolfe writes, is that both are true; the
hurtful acts of evil forces ultimately serve the greater good of the
Increate. And even the Yesodis who want to be benevolent and
intentionally do good in the eyes of the Increate will fall short,
because they are the flawed image of the flawed image of the Increate.
But, in their sincere desire to be good like Him, they approach His
ideal more and more closely.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >