(urth) Sev's family tree

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Jan 27 18:36:39 PST 2011

From: "Jeff Wilson" <jwilson at io.com>
Gerry.Quinn:
>> The reading seems problematic.  Casdoe chose to leave Severian alone in
>> the dark with the alzabo, when she could with little risk have hung a
>> light for him.  Doubtless she intended that the alzabo would devour
>> Severian and rush off to find his family, leaving her and her own family
>> safe.
>
> Is there any real evidence that the alzabo is motivated to hunt by family
> in preference to proximity and opportunity?

It seems obvious that family and/or close acquaintaince are the basis of its
modus operandi. It comes to the door crying to be let in in the voice of a
family member, and in Sev's conversation with what might be called 'the
spirit of Becan' within it, it indicates that it is motivated to bring his
family to join him.

We don't know for sure how it operates, but it would seem a reasonable
assumption, and gives a plausible motivation for Casdoe's actions.

- Gerry Quinn