(urth) Sev's family tree

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Jan 27 12:08:24 PST 2011

  From: Mr Thalassocrat
  Viz: Sev colludes with a repugnant alien beast to facilitate the death of most of Cadoe's family, leaving Little Sev as the only survivor.

  Morally, I think, Sev is a cripple. He waxes lyrical about these people and their lives, yet constructively colludes in their horrible deaths. Later, he does the same thing on a much larger scale.
The reading seems problematic.  Casdoe chose to leave Severian alone in the dark with the alzabo, when she could with little risk have hung a light for him.  Doubtless she intended that the alzabo would devour Severian and rush off to find his family, leaving her and her own family safe.

After that, is he morally obliged to stay (at risk not just from the alzabo but from the forces of the archon) and defend her home, or hunt the alzabo?  I think not.  In fact, he does attempt to protect the family as they and he leave the region.

- Gerry Quinn