(urth) Mythic Women in BotNS

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 12:22:07 PST 2011

>> So far, every Wolfe novel I have read is the memoir of a person who is a legend in their own time, and apparently after, who is mostly clueless to the fact.
> Peace? There Are Doors? Castleview? Pandora, by Holly Hollander?

There's Sorcerer's House, An Evil Guest and Pirate Freedom, as well.
But, let's face it, Severian, Silk/the Rajan, Latro, and Able are
probably easily in the top 5 of the vast's Lupine heroes, so there's
that.  On the other hand, they might well not be Wolfe's favorites which
could arguably be Alden Weer, Green, Cassie Casey. So maybe its not
Wolfe's fault, but his audience's, that his most popular protagonists
are so similar.

Of course, there's much more variety in his short stories.

u+16b9