(urth) Mystery of Ascia

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:56:29 PST 2011

>Entonio: No, they are saying that there may be different alleles which produce a
>similar phenotype. They are  talking about expressed DNA. It's not a matter of
>having a couple of  different bases which make no difference on the result. The coded
>proteins may differ in structure yet not in function.

I understand what you are saying but it is a different question being addressed.

The Wikipedia quote Gerry cited was:

"a great deal of genetic variation is hidden in the form of alleles that do not produce
obvious phenotypic differences."

We are talking about a principle of natural selection and evolution. Natural selection
can only act on phenotype. And if there is no "obvious difference" between two phenotypes
the difference is invisible to natural selection.