(urth) Mystery of Ascia

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 07:02:03 PST 2011

>> Lee Berman -
>> It wasn't in the interview, but since reading that, I have guessed that
>> Wolfe chose the name "Ascian" because it is an amalgam of "American" and
>> "Asian" adding the mistake about the equator/no shadow origin later to
>> justify that name.

Wolfe has said in an interview that the Ascian (as-kee-an) / Asian false
association never occurred to him at the time of writing but
acknowledged that it was a reasonable inference for a reader to make.
The idea was that most people of the Commonwealth thought the Ascians
were from the equator and had no idea that they were from much further
north.

Of course, the name also implies that they are in darkness ("no
shadow"); rejecting the light of the New Sun.

u+16b9