(urth) Mystery of Ascia

entonio at gmail.com entonio at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 05:55:04 PST 2011

No dia 2011/01/22, às 13:11, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
escreveu:
> *(the main reason humans and chimps cannot interbreed is not genetic
> dissimilarity but chromosomal
> differences [different number]. I don't know if it has ever been
> tried but if these species
> attempted to interbreed, the chromosomes would not match up properly
> during fertilization to allow
> a viable embryo to form)

This is more properly the reason why mules are sterile - their
maternal and paternal chromatids don't line up for meiosis. When
populations become too dissimilar to interbreed, it's usually down to
mechanics and gametal attachment incompatibility before chromosomal
organisation. The latter of course matters because for a via le
diploid organism about half the genome has to be deactivated, but
there's some margin there (aneuploidy syndromes show some of the
results when that's not possible).

But generally speaking I think these discussions are spurious. Again,
observational data is usually solid. Explanations for it are ephemeral
and one shouldn't count on them to understand the Books.