(urth) Mystery of Ascia

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jan 21 22:25:35 PST 2011

On 1/21/2011 11:48 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

>>> Gravity was discovered before more modern understandings of it were
>>> developed. Does that mean we should
>>> throw away the concept?
>>
>> This statement really is beneath you. The same sort of blunder as "the
>> sky is blue".
>
> Just because I didn't bother to remonstrate with you doesn't mean I
> accept your assertion that the sky is pink, or green, or whatever colour
> you claim it is.

Well, a bit less than half the time it's black, and a bit less than that
it's mostly blue of some shade. The remaining time is mostly reds and
oranges, but there are definite attested and documented times for all of
the above.

Likewise, gravity has remained the phenomenon of most unsupported
material objects accelerating toward the earth, but the existence of the
force supposed to cause this has come into serious question during the
past century. It's still treated as a force for simplicity since it
involves acceleration of mass, but the most peculiar geometric
abstraction behind Einsteinian gravity is unlike anything else my
physics text calls a force.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >