(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 18:36:45 PST 2011

>Craig Brewer: Lee (and everyone else), can we stop the armchair psychologizing? I don't mean
>to single you out, but you seem to do it most often.

No, that's okay. Feel free to single me out. Lightning rod is a part of my chosen role.

>It doesn't matter if other people don't accept your readings. When you  share
>them, you send them out to the winds, and you can't control what  comes back.

So true. But perhaps control is not the goal.

>I'm sorry to single you out, Lee, you  start labeling people as gatekeepers...

Well, actually that was Witz. But your point is taken.

>If Roy or anyone else posts a good point but does it with complete and utter contempt
>for someone else, I don't care. I appreciate the point. We all have the power to filter
>the substance from the delivery. Meeting nice people is cool and all, but it's not why
>I'm here.

Your feelings are noted, Craig. And they matter. But the feelings of others matter too.
It is a part of my profession and personal code to care about people's feelings. I don't
leave that at the door when I come in here. If others eschew politeness and respect here,
that's fine but I will respond with my true feelings when the issue comes up as you have
responded with yours.

FWIW, when my profession involves working in correctional facilities, part of my job
is receiving daily contempt and worse without taking it personally. And I don't. But not
everyone has my experience in dealing with such things and my concern is more for those
people rather than myself. I'm not the best theorist, but along with the best critics,
I'd like to keep the best theorists here too. If undefended they will leave. That has been
demonstrated more than once.