(urth) Mystery of Agia

D daerian+urth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 15:11:32 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>
> >> Agreed.
> >> Sure, I suppose I can swallow the asian androgeny bit. Severian
> describes her eyes as "strangely tilted" and her nose as upturned.
> >
> > upturned doesn't sound asian, more scandian
>

> . .
>
> AGIA DESCRIPTIONS:
>
> "With her upturned nose and strangely tilted eyes, she looked so much like
> her brother I felt sure they were twins, but the slender figure and delicate
> features that seemed incongruent in him were compelling in her."
>
> "Of average height, with a short nose, wide cheekbones, and the elongated
> brown eyes that often accompany them."
>
> "Her voice was much deeper than I had expected."
>
> "... wide, flat cheeks and softly rounded chin, freckled, sun-browned skin
> and long, laughing, mocking eyes."
>
> . .
>
> Seems like she is definitely Asian looking, laughing, mocking eyes,
> elongated, strangely tilted, with wide, flat cheekbones and delicate
> features.
>
> Also, what's up with the deep voice, and similar physique to her brother?
> Is this a man in drag or something?
>
> ...ryan

When I originally read the passage of Agia's description I associated her
features to the indigenous people of Argentina as some groups have slanted
eyes and wide cheekbones. I also noticed that it mentioned "sun-browned
skin". It seems unlikely that the dwindling sun can make a person brown if
(1) the person has a complexion type that browns easily or (2) the person
has already brownish skin.