(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Jan 20 11:41:00 PST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> and
>>> Roys dismissals do not carry any canonical authority.
>>> ~witz
>>>

> Just a few quick points I wanted to make before shutting up for a while.
>

> There are things that I am sure I should be able to prove logically by lining up a few quotes, and things that I can't explain away.  Because krait says "paradoxes explain everything", I know I can never really prove Green is Urth without facing a paradox - it can't be, so I can't prove it.  (ie- I can be 87% sure it is and yet have only a 3% chance of convincing someone who doesn't believe it because there is REAL evidence against it).  But this last case is different, every time I look through the book I see more quotes equating motherhood with a particular set of characters, I see a consistent scheme, I see no contradictory evidence, only motivation unrevealed, so I have a certainty approaching 100% and I think my chance of convincing someone who sees the same data should be in the high 90th percentile.  If all the data is explained and fits, then I can't see how it can be rationalized away, when doing so makes other statements seem merely like
> desciption of banal events or just kind of weird observations with no application, even though they are all consistent and pointing to the same conclusion.
>
> For example, if I didn't have the interview to back me up, I think the assertion that Eleanor Bold is Mrs. Porter only has like a 15% chance of convincing someone, honestly, but everyone just accepts it without question (well, it is true, obviously, because of Wolfe's interview and explanation, but there's almost NO evidence).  This last round of argument has WAY more evidence than almost even Ouen being Sevs father, which is based on a resemblance in one scene to conclude Dorcas MUST be his grandmother.
>
> Its just discouraging, because this kind of thing is really only a first step interpretationally, just an assembling of pertinent information with no real reasoning involved.

I feel you. I myself think people that won't accept some readings are not facing the obvious.
I'm only a fly on the wall as to this threads real content, as I've only read LS once so far and was extremely confused by all this Silk Pas stuff. I missed a lot completely before getting some "answers" from the list.

Lee mentioned that I want abstract rather than concrete discussions.
Nah, I like both.  I really like the attempts at canonical gate keeping though, because I am trying to find out WHAT IS canonical so I can create illustrations that do not contradict the plot, or inadvertantly provide wrong answers by not being aware of the nuances readers find in certain passages.