(urth) Summary of the case for Silk as Typhon's clone

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Jan 20 09:25:56 PST 2011

From: "Andrew Mason" <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
Gerry Quinn wrote:

> > [--]

> For another, why is he in Viron? That actually doesn't count against
> his being a clone as such, but it does count against his being a
> super-special clone of the kind that Dan'l has in mind. I can well
> imagine that there are, possibly, clones, or, perhaps more likely,
> specially bred children of the gods scattered throughout the Whorl; It
> seems a plausible and Typhonic way of producing people of special
> abilities. But one would expect a clone destined to be the leader of
> the new colony to be kept at Mainframe.

Another point against it is that, IIRC, Tussah was reported to have paid a
lot for the embryo.  If it was part of Typhon's plan, you'd expect Tussah to
be paid, or to do it out of loyalty or just obedience.  You wouldn't expect
him to pay.

> >> Typhon is psychically adept in some way. And he isn't willing to have
> >> his consciousness downloaded into another (such as Piaton), though the
> >> technology is clearly available to him.
> >
> > He has charisma, aggression and self-confidence, that is certain. I'm
> > not
> > convinced his powers extend to the supernatural.
>
> He manages to get Severian to see things at an impossible distance, in
> a way that implies psychic power. (I'm not sure Wolfe would consider
> this supernatural, though. He refers to Silk's psychic powers in an
> interview somewhere in a very casual way, which suggests to me  that
> he thinks such powers are actually part of the world.)

True - I kind of assumed there was soime technological enhancement of vision
built into the window, but the text doesn't really seem to support this.
(On the other hand, who knows what the ancient super-science was truly
capable of?)

> > As for downloading, it could be that Wolfe hadn't considered that option
> > when he wrote BotNS.
>
> Almost certainly,. But in the light of BOTLS, we can look back and
> ask how to make sense of what happens in BOTNS given this new
> information (make sense of it in-story, not make sense of Wolfe's
> writing it).

We travel murky paths when we take that route.  The problem is that there is
no reason to believe that anything else in the text will correlate with such
ideas; and if the author actually intended something relating to a point we
deal with this way, we will actually tend to obscure it.

- Gerry Quinn