(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 08:44:13 PST 2011

On 1/19/2011 10:23 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> Anyway, that's beside the point.  Some of these people - and others,
> such as Mint - can have their not mentioning the resemblance explained
> away.  But ALL of them?  Why?  It's like Murder on the Orient Express,
> but with no detective!  When has Wolfe ever worked like that?

Interesting. I've often used this very analogy to describe Wolfe's
novel. I tell people, "If Wolfe had written MotOE, there would be no
detective. That would be the reader's job. All the story would be told
by the suspects and and maybe a clever but distracted Red Cap. The
murder itself would be an incidental event. "

u+16b9