(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 04:11:46 PST 2011

> Roy C. Lackey-
> If you mean only that Silk's head took the _place_ of Piaton's head in the
> image he was shown, then you are back to the other possibility that Silk saw
> his own head beside the head of Pas/Typhon and failed to notice any
> resemblance.

I realize it is easy to forget, but these books weren't written by Silk.
They were written by Horn. While we can assume Horn is honestly writing
about what he was told and saw, we cannot make assumptions about things
being so based on NEGATIVE evidence...that is, we don't have any record
of Silk saying, "Pas looks like me. So he must have not looked like Pas.
Mint doesn't say 'You look like Pas' so therefore she never saw the
resemblance."

>   Roy C. Lackey-
> Typhon's vanity and obsession with his face are a textual given. Mt. Typhon
> is proof. Having his own head cut off and attached to another man's body to
> preserve his face is about as obsessed as anyone can get, particularly if he
> had other options such as cloning available to him. The _Whorl_ was not
> carved in a day. Hammerstone said that chems were being stockpiled for ten
> years before they were put aboard the ship, so he had the time to grow a
> clone body if it could be done. Typhon's building and launch of the LSW is
> stated to have been his message to the universe. That's vanity.

I had always assumed that the purpose of the operation was that Typhon's
own body was failing. If he did not have time to grow a new clone body.

> And carving his face on a mountain is all about vanity and has nothing to do
> with teaching his subjects to obey. Most of his subjects on the continent
> lived in or near Nessus, and he ruled the whole planet, not just the
> Commonwealth. The overwhelming majority of his subjects would never come
> anywhere near those mountains, never see that carved face.

What makes you think he didn't have billboards of himself everywhere?
But it is the subjects close at hand who were the greatest threat.

u+16b9