(urth) some mysterious stuff in Long Sun

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 18:55:32 PST 2011

>> * Silk's fathers sound like Lemur
> Could you expand on that?

When Silk meets his parents in Mainframe, Horn writes:

    "You must, my lad." A man's voice, the voice of which Lemur had been
    a species of mockery. Looking up he saw the carved brown face from
    his mother's closet.
    "We're your parents." He was tall and blue-eyed. "Your fathers and
    your mothers."

> I was thinking something related. If we
> agree that Silk's father ought to be someone named, the question
> arises who, other than Typhon, it could be - and a possibility that
> struck me was Lemur.

If you haven't picked up on it already, I suspect it is not an either/or
choice.

> We don't know how old Lemur is, and given that he
> knows such a lot about Typhon, one wonders if he has been around since
> the launch. I don't think we know Lemur's eye colour, unfortunately,
> and his hair by the time Silk meets him is white.
> One thing that worries me, though, is this. One reason for thinking
> Silk's father is not Typhon is that it seems unlikely the Outsider
> would choose Typhon as a messenger. But even less, you might think,
> would he choose Lemur.

I see it differently. Wolfe says the best villians fall just _short_ of
being a hero.
 From another POV, and for some people, I think he _was_ a hero. It's
very relative.
What was every other leader on Urth like at the time?

u+16b9