(urth) (no subject)

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 18:50:39 PST 2011

>Gwern Branwen: >> Conrad's _Heart of Darkness_  I love the book. I hate the racism. And I think
>you can have it both ways in the realm of fiction and art. There's no contradiction there."

Made me think of Huckleberry Finn and how there is a strong movement to require schools to carry a
version which finds a less offensive term than "nigger" (the N-word) which is repeated over 100 times
in the story. To me that move would suck the life out of the book. It was a book about slavery written
in a time when slavery was a living memory for most people. Nothing hammers that home more than free
and liberal use of the N-word which is exactly what Mark Twain intended.

I guess I can't exactly hate racism..how can I hate what is an integral part of my own species? Or perhaps
it is the broader human reflex of xenophobia which is the integral part. Either way, I think we will
forever be..cursed?...with the tendency to divide into groups and fight. Heh, when I used to work in
prison, the inmates managed to divide themselves not by race, not by gang affiliation but by home telephone
area code and fight over that. Heck I've even known people to fight over fictional interpretations ;- ).