(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:41:57 PST 2011

> Roy C. Lackey-
> One of the two heads she saw was clearly Piaton's, the same idiotic-looking
> fellow who had trouble catching his breath that Severian had seen on Mt.
> Typhon. If the other head she saw had looked like Silk's, she would have
> been shocked silly, but she gave no indication, then or later, that the
> other head looked anything like Silk, so I'm going to stretch my imagination
> and suggest that Silk does not look like Pas, who was Typhon, who was so
> fond of his own face that he had it carved into a mountain.

I don't understand why you think this argument is so convincing.

1)  Typhon told Sev that he kept his face for purely practical reasons.
Not aesthetic reasons. If one accepts his rationale, he carved his face
on a mountain in order to TEACH his subjects to obey his face. Not for
aesthetic reasons. Granted you could argue that Typhon was rationalizing
his vanity. But shouldn't have confirmation from other text--in the
books or out of them to back up that supposition?

2) You don't think the rest of the family of Pas actually looked like
that do you? Tentacles for arms and snakes for hair? Why would you
assume Pas' image was naturalistic? Because Typhon was egotistical about
his face? That's circular. I know lots of guys who "look like Jesus".
When I go to church, I don't look at the stained glass, then at one of
them, then at the stained glass, and go "Wait a minute!"

u+16b9