(urth) some mysterious stuff in Long Sun

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 17 04:11:56 PST 2011

Antionois Pedro Marquez wrote:

> Yeah, what's the deal with Mint and Auk? Silk supposedly took an interest in
> Auk because of Mint, but what was Mint's interest? And how come we hardly
> see any manisfestation of it?

Auk sometimes calls MInt 'Mother'.

Marble tells Silk that Auk never really had a father and a mother, and
then is about to say more, but doesn't, because this would involve
breaking Mint's confidence.

Mint seems to have had a traumatic experience before she became a sibyl.

On the other hand Mint is undoubtedly a virgin, as she witnesses the
theophanies (before the ban is apparently lifted). .

I think that Auk was an embryo and Mint was his surrogate mother.
However, I have no idea who sponsored him or why, so there's still a
puzzle here.

(I don't think Auk's age is ever stated. Mint is thirty-six. Auk could
be her child if she had him very young, as Mucor did the lynxes.)