(urth) lameness

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 16 20:35:43 PST 2011

>James Wynn: You might be interested in this, Lee....Another divinity later incorporated in the
retinue of Dionysus, and often confused with the Satyrs because of his physical resemblance
to them, was the god Pan......

I am interested. Some of it I've encountered before. The connection between Dionysus/Bacchus
and Pan/Faunus is almost impossible to escape with the ubiquitous depictions of bacchanalic,
satyr/faun orgies. Also I've bumped into the bit about Pan's name pertaining both to PAStoralism
and ALL things.

This presents a very explicit genealogy of how Dionysus/Pan can manage to be both father to and
son of Zeus, with Hermes and Apollo thrown in for good measure. While this appears to have relevance
to the writ-small version regarding Pas/Tussah/Silk on The Whorl I am interested in the bigger picture
of how it relates to The Outsider, Severian and Dionysus (Father Inire).

An excellent new tidbit is the mention of Priapus. This eternally aroused version of Pan is quite
analogous to the Innus epithet of Faunus which I think gives Father Inire both his name and his monkey
(replacing goat) features.

>...But I still say that Silk was also the born of Kypris/Bird of
>the Woods, as impossible as that seems.

I am willing to listen to all your ideas, James. I think the idea of Spring Wind= Typhon with Alexander
as the connecting theme is the best idea I've heard in a while on this list. How does this tie in?