(urth) The green man is a fake

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jan 16 18:17:49 PST 2011

On 1/16/2011 6:31 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> He's "the color of pale jade".  This means he absorbs less visible light than
> current
> plants (Ribes?).  If Wolfe had said "blackish jade", it would have been a step
> in the
> direction of plausibility.

He might be bleached out from lack of light, the way grass is when
something is left covering it for a few days, then removed. On his
second appearance, he is merely jade colored, indicating a partial recovery.

> However, I'm imagining a world with many fusion plants powering LEDs that shine
> on
> green people as they sleep.  Including shining on them from below through
> transparent
> water or air mattresses.

The green man seems almost atechnological. He wears a kilt for modesty,
but despite having the run of Severian's lifetime, he doesn't bother to
stop for anything else that might help him rescue Severian.

> However however, I suspect Wolfe just committed the Sin Against Niven and didn't
> think it through.

Niven's one to talk! Actually, Niven fesses up to lots of "didn't think
it through" moments, though I can't believe he didn't intentionally
stick the fossil record under the rug when he decided 1) Kzinti and
humans are descended from a virus, 2) primates are descended from
aliens, and 3) all of the above are descended from feedstock designed by
still another alien race for the benefit of still another unrelated
alien race.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >