(urth) The green man is a fake

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 09:24:17 PST 2011

--- On Sun, 1/16/11, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:
> What purpose does this laugh serve? He
> also fails to live up to his promise
> to rescue Severian in repayment for being rescued by him.

I thought he saved him obliquely, or tried to, in Urth of the New Sun, doesn't he?  Or did he show up too late?  I have a very poor memory of Uth, though.  The laugh and the comment that the demons describe Ushas in the play are disconcerting, as is, you know the contradictory idea at the end of citadel that Sev thinks both the high and the low must be preserved, and winds up wiping out pretty much both.

But people are still people, and that evil inside man seems pretty universal, as does his good.  The green man is at best ambiguous (is it stated he absolutely can't supplement his chlorophyl with the old gastric digestive system?  Is he completely plant-like in energy or can he eat if he has to?)

Yeah too many weird negative associations with his description.  I say, he is at best ambiguous, at worst ... bleh.