(urth) the prime calcula/ his citadel and other quotes

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Jan 15 14:00:50 PST 2011

From: "Marc Aramini" <marcaramini at yahoo.com>
> Gerry, one of the things I quoted you dismissed as just Silk being
> introduced
> to a new name, I was trying to imply they cast doubts on the validity of
> Mamelta's clear memories.  Mamelta says her name is mamelta, and when
> silk asks if that's really her name, she says ... "I think so. I can't
> ..." indicating
> she HAS been tampered with.  If I ask you if your name is Gerry, do you
> say, "I think so."?  Its indicative of supreme confusion, and Rigoglio,
> aka
> Roger, also says the memories of those placed aboard where altered in
> Short
> Sun.  I don't think it says that her name is NOT mamelta, but it does say
> that
> she has been messed with and is confused.

When she is confused about her name, though, she has just slept for two
centuries, and woken up possessed by Mucor.  Even without a brain operation,
I think that would leave anyone a bit discombobulated.

The memory alterations are not described in detail, but the indications are
that they were something that was done to all sleepers to make them forget
specific details of life on Urth.  Quetzal (I think) suggests that it was
something to do with the state religion involving a kind of worship of the
Monarch's family.  Mamelta talks about Molpe dancing through her dreams.
She also says that people on urth spoke telepathically - maybe the facility
for this was removed?

As I posted before, the biggest problem I see here is motivation.  Whether
Typhon put Kypris aboard as reward or punishment, what possible reason has
he to replace her memories with those of a seemingly completely different
person?  That doesn't work for either!  (And it's not to hide her from
Echidna on the Whorl, because she is supposed to be asleep anyway.)

> So you don't think Wolfe would even bother to include Silk's genetic
> mother if she is mentioned in the second dream enlightenment? as two
> sets of parents, when Silks says he thinks he knows how he came to
> be from something he learned underground?  What other blue eyed
> women are wandering around?  You said that feeling of being held by
> a mother was only due to the elevator shaft, but it happened near
> Mamelta, he looks up her groin, the dream visions equates her with
> KYpris/mother/chenille/hyacinth.  How much textual juxtaposition
> will be needed to produce that effect?

But he saw the embryos underground.  And we know that Chenille at least is
certainly not his mother.

I agree that there are coincidences that look like possible clues - but for
me this theory founders on the rocks of Mamelta's memories - those memories
are not those of Silk's mother (unless she was a random egg donor and
doesn't even remember it) and there seems no conceivable reason why she
would have been given them.

- Gerry Quinn