(urth) lameness

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jan 14 19:02:38 PST 2011

On 1/14/2011 6:33 PM, Jane Delawney wrote:
> He presents a Jesus who has been born to be the dying-and-rising Corn
> King, husband of the White Goddess, but who rejects his role, and even
> after his ritual combat and consequent lameness refuses to fulfill
> that role by consummating his predestined marriage to the Goddess's
> incarnation on earth, Mary Magdalene.
"Corn" meaning "grain" but perfectly extendable to "maize" .... that
grain with yellow silk.

> ... (I well remember on reading UoTNS for the first time that I
> thought I knew exactly why Sev keeps referring to 'poor Valeria',
> namely that I assumed he had always been impotent with her as he never
> had been with other women; and then I remember my dismay on re-reading
> the work from the beginning to find that there was absolutely no
> support for this assumption in the text! Still not sure where that
> came from.).
I had the very same thought my very first time. We both must have read
it somewhere else---is it a classic Victorian indirection?
> The lameness theme is stressed too much to be merely accidental,
> however. ....
>
> I've no idea what (if anything) all of this means in terms of GW's
> thinking, but at the least it does appear to be relevant in terms of
> the Sun Cycle's multitudinous lamed messiah / Fisher King references.
I guess if you have a wasteland of any kind, there must be a lame king.
And Urth is such, else why Conciliate? The Whorl too is broken/has
broken with its people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110114-1, 01/14/2011
Tested on: 1/14/2011 10:02:39 PM