(urth) (no subject)

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jan 14 05:00:21 PST 2011

On 1/13/2011 10:23 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> (The connection between "lame" and "castrated" is the theory that when a
>> hero in literature is wounded in the "thigh," that really means he's
>> been rendered, er, drastically impotent---or at least that the two are
>> related by proximity. A king who cannot ride and fight may still be able
>> to sire an heir, but he's still cursed. BTW, has anyone wondered why
>> Severian and Valeria never had an heir?)
>
> The mythic connection between lame and castrated is something I've never encountered before. Thank
> you David!!!
Sure! That's straight from /The Golden Bough/, a book of sheer nonsense
that is sure to set your brain on fire. Keep a small fire extinguisher
handy. ;)

> I have wondered more than once in these annals about the lack of pregnancy in Valeria. I guess we
> could think of it as a pre-castration condition for the New Sun (what if he failed and faced castration;
> he can't have already had a child).
Yes, that kinda makes sense, and yet kinda doesn't quite explain it. Was
Severian simply informed that any heir he produced would be killed?
>    [snip]
> Some say there were some other people around for Adam and Eve's kids to mate with, in Nod, east of Eden.. But,
> as Dr. Talos' play implies, that gets into the Nephilim and fallen angel matings and stuff like that, which led
> to a Flood. There ARE some necessary dark sides to Creation and incest is one of them.

I think gnosticism and alchemical principles such as holy incest are
closer to the core of the---what to call it, religious system?---in
BOTNS. But gnosticism had no obsession with torture or death or force;
those features are purely medieval Christian. Taken together, it's
almost as though the Incarnation was dimly perceived but was responded
to incorrectly---was terribly misunderstood.

How this dim perception might have occurred is another question.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110114-0, 01/14/2011
Tested on: 1/14/2011 8:00:22 AM