(urth) Atonement Theology and the Conciliator

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Jan 13 19:15:51 PST 2011

On 1/13/2011 7:54 PM, Matthew Weber wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:47 PM, David Stockhoff
> <dstockhoff at verizon.net <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
>     Sorry, not the Saxon rite, but the Saxons' rite. I don't know what
>     it was called.
>

> Depends on where the missionaries came from--but I would guess for the
> most part they were from France, hence the Gallican Rite.
Yes, the missionaries were Frankish. The Saxons had only recently converted.

>     What's the Victor theory?
>

> The Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christus_Victor)
> is a good summary of it.
A very good summary.

>        And I am sure he would not approve of slaughtering Muslims for
>
>            salvation, so....
>

>         No, most likely not, and neither do I.  On the other hand,
>         remind me how the Seljuk Turks came by their possession of the
>         Holy Land...?
>
>     Was Wolfe also considering converting to Islam?
>
> Not that I know of.  I was just being snarky about modern Western
> distaste for the Crusades (which I don't think were any less
> legitimate than the Muslim conquests which preceded them).
Of course they weren't less legitimate. But did they uplift humanity
toward godhood?

In one sense they did, because Europe got rich off the Crusades and
began to colonize the globe, leading eventually to spaceflight. But is
that the right sense?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110113-1, 01/13/2011
Tested on: 1/13/2011 10:15:51 PM