(urth) Dome, Dome on the Range

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 11:32:05 PST 2011

Jeff Wilson wrote (13-01-2011 18:36):

> It has been a while since I have mentioned that I do a lot of peer
> review and fact-checking on role-playing game books. While this includes
> a lot of fanciful "zapping" with super powers and such, the publisher
> sjgames.com courts a lot of the hard-SF crowd by making a point of
> consulting domain experts in the preparation of the books on real world
> subjects like planetary science and biotechnology.

My take on this is that what's important is not saying nonsense about the
stuff we do obvservational data on. Our knowledge is so limited that it
really doesn't matter if the author makes it all work based on giant turtles
somewhere else far away (who doesn't love giant turtles). In fact, tying
fiction to current understanding is a sure way to make it dated, and if an
important goal of the work is to present innovative ideas, then it's fail.
But for crying out loud, I had to tune out the TV in disgust the other day
while watching Eleventh Hour (US TV series) the other day. Whoever wrote the
script seemed ignorant of 4th grade biology. That isn't good. Exactly the
same storyline could have been written in a reasonable way, but no, they had
to ruin it. It's the line between understanding, which is always susceptible
to revolution, and observation, in which we do know that red blood cells
don't wear firemen hats.