(urth) Green is Urth Redux

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Jan 12 19:26:31 PST 2011

On 1/12/2011 10:03 PM, David Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>
>> On 1/12/2011 6:03 PM, David Duffy wrote:
>>> The moon can keep an atmosphere, once provided, for 10000-20000 years
>>> per top-up IIRC. Those Barsoomian air plants would do the trick nicely.
>>>
>>> http://www.terraformers.ca/Terraforming-the-Moon.html
>>
>> I've heard this before, but I have yet to see how the figure was
>> obtained. I cannot find it on the cited website, if that was your
>> intention.
>>

> No.  But I presume you can google as well as me ;)  Geoffrey Landis gives
>
> http://www.geoffreylandis.com/moonair.html
>
> Could we manufacture the oxygen? We would need something like two
> hundred trillion tons. The chemical composition of lunar rock is about
> half oxygen; all we have to do is reduce the amount of rock equivalent
> to a cube about fifty kilometers on an edge. That's a lot of rock. On
> the other hand, it's a small volume compared to the size of the moon.
> Such a chunk of rock reduced to oxygen would give the moon an
> atmosphere that would last three thousand years--longer than any
> civilization on Earth has ever lasted, and when it leaks away, we
> could keep replacing it every few thousand years for a long, long time
> before we even begin to use up the moon.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a complete text for
>
> H.W. Renn, "Terraforming the Moon: A Viable Step in the Colonization
> of the Solar System?" IAC-02-IAA.13.2.08, 53rd International
> Astronautical Congress, Houston, TX (2002).
>
> I get the impression the 3000 year number is a little arbitrary (it
> does for example assume the sun to be as hot as it at present ;)).
> This writer (a professor of astronomy) claims 10-fold differences in
> retention time depending on who did the calculations:
> http://cseligman.com/text/planets/retention.htm
>
> The ratio of escape velocity to thermal velocity for H2O and O2 for
> the moon is 5-6, which gives ~100 My.  This assumes a T of 300K.
> However, the T at the base of Earth's exosphere is more like 1000K,
> and that for the moon in a thick atmosphere is given at 800K in the
> Willett et al presentation "Above the Moon".
>
> Williams et al Nature 1997; 385:234-236 state further
>
> Loss of O is not necessarily fatal to habitability because O2 can be
> replaced by photosynthesis.
>
> Anyway, I don't know if Wolfe necessarily went through all these
> calculations ;)
>
> Cheers, David Duffy.
As unlikely as the success of this process might appear from a technical
standpoint, it is much closer to my own reading. I think the possibility
that the trees---especially having run wild---might sustain an
atmosphere fits well with the textual emphasis on a totally green, wild,
forested moon. Which I think is Wolfe's main descriptive point about Lune.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110112-2, 01/12/2011
Tested on: 1/12/2011 10:26:32 PM