(urth) Green is Urth Redux

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:02:03 PST 2011

No dia 12 de Jan de 2011, às 23:23, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> escreveu:

> Though the stories can get pretty technical without mentioning too many numbers: "How I Lost the Second World War and Helped Turn Back the German Invasion" includes a fairly detailed allegory of atomic-level semiconductor physics that has taken becoming an electrical engineering student myself to truly appreciate.

I'd say it's easy to attribute strange stuff in Gene Wolfe's work to his fallibility, and to the distant observer it must seem quite sheepish of ours to always shy from doing that, trying instead to find sense in things (cf the moon discussion, or the wall of Nessus's, which might simply be dismissed were the author another). But as your example here illustrates, we're dealing with a man who knows very well what he writes about and writes very well about what he knows, and knows a lot about a lot - and this in the pre-wikipedia age, though I'm not restricting 'knows' to encyclopaedic knowledge -, and the only reasonable assumption is that if he writes about anything at all it's because he knows what he's doing, or he'd just not write about it. Idle words, ever, from Gene Wolfe? Only for some good reason.