(urth) Spiritual and Ecological Succession

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue Jan 11 18:58:58 PST 2011

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

>>Gerry Quinn: What obvious conclusions can we draw?  That there is a black
>>hole in Fomalhaut too?
>
> Yes.

It seems to me there could be many reasons, and there doesn't seem anything
in the book to support the notion that Fomalhaut is some sort of 'twin' of
Sol.

Possibly Wolfe just picked a star out of his hat, so to speak.  fomalhaut is
an unlikely candidate to have "one surviving planet" in an astrophysically
short time, given that it is a very young star which does not even have all
its planets yet.

>>Feel free to explain how this "spiritual side of the cycle" causes
>>Fomalhaut to age rapidly.
>
> Thanks. But no thanks.

What a shame... I would have liked to know how "it's because you are missing
the spiritual side of the cycle" was more than meaningless bluster it
appears to be.

- Gerry Quinn